Thursday, September 10, 2009

the ache of oneness

i learned tonight, that one of my closest friends from high school was the lt. commander of the seal special forces unit that landed on top of what is now known to be robert's ridge in Afghanistan. this man was my friend since 7th grade. we went to sadie hawkins dance together. he sat by my bed when i was in my car accident in high school and cried. he had a great sense of humor and an integrity that was consistent and solid. i remember when he left for the naval academy in Annapolis. i remember when he became a seal, a husband, a father.

tonight i learned that he was on that mountain top, attacked by al-qaeda...attacking al-qaeda.

and the war came home to my heart in a real way. for a moment my heart was on that mountaintop. walking with him as he carried a wounded comrade, watching as he shot a man...once, twice, three times.

my heart aches for what we do to one another in war. my heart aches for my friend. he was amazingly sensitive in high school. he had a tender, trusting heart. compassionate and kind. i wonder what has happened to his heart? i wonder who he has become?

my heart aches for all involved in this war. tonight the war came home, i felt the fear, the terror, the futility...

my connection to the world...to the war changed tonight...

no words to express, yes there is an ache of oneness

3 comments:

  1. a big hug to you anakha and my prayers for you, your friend, and our world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also blessings for 9/11: For all the victims and their loved ones plus for all the heartfelt responses of solidarity and oneness that came in its wake, plus for our still broken world to find our way to healing and wholeness and conscious oneness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a painful opportunity to experience oneness...an opportunity that's rippling out...and i'm experiencing my own grief at the ridiculousness and compounding tragedies of these military excursions

    may all who are affected experience the divine sustenance that is always with us, as well

    ReplyDelete